Water under the bridge......



"Water under the bridge" obviously herewith applies just metaphorically. See, in Texas, we're in a drought. Wildfires. Lake levels sinking one foot per day! High temperatures. Sustained high winds.


Traffic jams everywhere and, as I heard this morning, heaps of them are cause by stalled cars -- with batteries that have succumbed to the heat.


It's hot. It's bad. Worst it's been in a long, long time. Longer than I've been alive.


Nevertheless, though there's not much water under the literal bridge, there's been lots under our metaphoric bridge....


Several surgeries -- all's good in the hood :)

Trips to the ER -- happy endings

A wedding -- happy ever after

Kitchen & bath renovations -- never again

Backyard renovation -- worth it

Personal renovation -- well, this one never really ends, does it?


Upside, however, is being able to participate in some of the flow of that metaphorical "water". Gotta focus on the fullness in the glass and the potential for the water level to rise and overflow :)


And eating some delicious foods, as one can do only in summer, is definitely an upside. Freshest greens & tomatoes. Sweet corn. Jalapenos from the garden. Fragrant basils. Yummo!!


Right now I've got the dehydrator going with some pureed bananas (for raw crepes!!); some tart shells that I'll fill maybe with some strawberry kreme (I know, doesn't that sound great?!?!); and raw oatmeal cookies with dates, apricots, and coconut -- great for breakfast.


I made the cookies something like this: Into a food processor dump 1/2 cup soaked walnuts, 6 soft medjools, 1/4 cup diced apricots, 1/2 cup coconut, about 1 cup of oats, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 1 tablespoon coconut butter, good pinch salt. All the measurements are what I imagined I put into the machine. Whizz it around till it's the consistency you like, adding a little liquid if it won't hold together. Shape into little round pillows/buttons - about 1 1/2" diameter and 3/4" thick (or whatever works for you) - then refrigerate and eat like cookie dough cookies, or dehydrate till they're dry.


The salad in the photo is my version of Bún Chay: rice vermicelli, sunflower sprouts, ribboned carrots, julienned cucumbers, diced tomatoes, basil (Italian and Thai), and chopped peanuts. I topped all with a little sauce of lime juice mixed with water, tamari, and maple syrup. So refreshing, light but filling, and suuuper tasty!!


For dessert, it's Inside Out PB Cups - my gluten free, vegan, ravishingly delicious and good-for-you version of Reese's cups. Not sure if I'll post the recipe.....BUT......I will gladly share them with you if you come see me :)


Meanwhile, à bientôt!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message :)