25 years later….

8pm and it’s still light outside. I love it!!

Light breeze, all the windows are open, and I was just going back through time courtesy of a photo album S gave me the other day. Ha, there are some photos of me back in 1984 knitting a sweater I’d be wearing in the 1985 photo of me on a train from Berlin to Munich. Seems like another world ago. Check these out…

Stricken 1985-1  Stricken 1985

Someone asked me not too long ago if I ever knitted anything but shawls. I don’t currently knit much besides shawls, but there was a time when I made all kinds of things. I used to knit my little Firefighter’s sweaters, hats, and booties. Obviously, from the pictures, I used to knit myself little sweaters. But there’s an element of mindlessness that comes with knitting shawls that I find comforting, necessary for my life phase. Even the ones with complicated patterns are somehow mindless. And they never “don’t fit.” They’re always just right. And I love that they can be made in any color under the sun. I usually knit with wool, but for my upcoming trip to Florida, I wanted cotton or silk and found some gorgeous ones at Woolie Ewe. I’m nearly done with the marigold Ishbel, but wouldn’t you know it, I ran out of yarn and need to buy another hank to finish about 9 rows plus the bind-off. Ach, knitting trauma.

The flamingo wool I bought is actually going to be another shawl. First I thought I’d knit another Ishbel, but decided to branch out and try another pattern. What could be more fitting for a trip than Traveling Woman? Here’s a peek at the stockinette portion; the lace pattern is about to begin tonight since the marigold one is on hold.

Flamingo TW

I had bought some silvery lilac cotton, too, and instead of a shawl actually made a little shrug. I found the free pattern on Ravelry, but can’t remember the name. If I think of it, I’ll post it. So, I like the shrug even though it’s a little big. Maybe I can shrink it a bit with a good hot wash?? Anyway, I have one skein left. Not sure what it will become. Maybe a little lace beanie??

IMG_3775 

So I don’t just knit shawls, I do knit other things. I just prefer knitting shawls :)

But I don’t just knit. I cook, too. This afternoon I made some really cool little tacos that reminded me of Antigua. Sorry, no pics, but they were great and super easy. Next time I make them, and I will make them again, I’ll try to snap some photos before they’re devoured.

Tempeh Tacos

  1. Tempeh, cut into strips and steam for about 5 minutes
  2. Season with lemon juice and curry powder
  3. Heat a pan over medium-high, add a tablespoon or so of coconut oil, and sautee the strips, till they’re crispy on both sides
  4. Julienne some green & red cabbage
  5. Cut some tomatoes into matchsticks
  6. Heat some sprouted corn tortillas on a hot pan until they’re fragrant
  7. Assemble: Spread a little sweet & spicy mustard on a tortilla. Layer on some cabbage, tomatoes, tempeh and more cabbage
  8. Fold and eat. Oh yeah!!

 

I also made a delicious veggie stew/soup the other day. Sort of a “goodbye winter – hello springtime” kind of dish.

Veggie Soup with Lemon

It had all kinds of goodies in it: tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions, cabbage, kale, lots of cilantro and -- the dot on the i -- lemon juice. Not just regular old lemon juice. Juiced organic lemon juice. Before the other fruits and veggies go into the juicer each day, I drop in a lemon or two, peel and all. Out comes the most fragrant nectar that makes anything it goes on taste vibrantly delicious. It’s incredible on salads in place of vinegar, in juices, and as a seasoning. Lip-smacking good, I’m telling you. We keep a jar in the fridge and it’s finding its way into all kinds of edibles. Tomorrow it’s going to make an appearance in the chickpeas I’ve got soaking – mmmm, lemony hummos. Can’t wait!

Last pic of today’s post…Sonoma snoozing in the car. Isn’t she a doll?

Nomi snoozing in the car

1 comment:

  1. Just saw this lovely blog - and got inspired to make tempeh tacos :)

    Enjoy the mindless knitting!! xo My favorite state.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message :)