Got the Munchies? Mmm, Hemp Brownies...

C and I finally went to Bliss, the raw cafe on Greenville and Park in Dallas. Had the Bliss Salad....hmmm, okay, but nothing to really blog about.

You know, when you're vegetarian, you get really picky about your salads. It's got to be fresh, all of it. No limp leaves, no black spots -- yuck -- both of which appeared on my plate. It was garnished with some finely shredded carrots, oil cured olives, sun dried tomatoes. It was ok.

C had the corn chowder, and it was delicious. I think I would've spiced it up a bit more, but it was cool and soothing. Her sandwich looked a lot like the one I made several posts ago.

I also ordered the raw soft tacos, but I took them home to J -- it was just too hot to eat. We were sitting outside; I could feel little rivulets of sweat trickling down my back and pooling around my backside. TMI?

Well, J ate the tacos and pronounced them "yeah, really good!" So I guess I need to go back and order them, or anything besides the salad.

I did also get a dessert. The server ran through a short list of cheezecakes, ice kreme, and something else, but I chose: crunchy hemp brownies. They came 4 little brownie "dice" surrounding one of the most delicious strawberries I've ever eaten, and gilded with 4 dabs of a lovely little sauce. And they were truly delicious. Compact, yet light; intense, yet not overpoweringly raw. Really good. Really.

I ate one little die. Mmm, yummy chocolately crunchiness. And so good for you, right?

"Don't you want one," I offered to C. I was (secretly) so glad she didn't want to taste one of the little morsels of mmm-ness.

Mm, I had another one. Should I bring the other two to J? Gosh, the dilemmas we face in life, right?? :)

I was good; I brought the remaining (yes, two) brownies home and J pronounced them....what else?....good. He's NOT like Mikey: he likes everything!!

I'll admit, I was secretly wishing he would decline my offer to partake of the little brownie bites. Now I was stuck with my sweet tooth and nothing to feed it. What to do but hit the internet and find a recipe. There were lots of them, but most of them were basically the same. I settled on the one at gone raw and changed it up slightly to suit moi.

I actually made a sauce, too, which I spooned into a little dish and promptly and clumsily dropped onto the floor. The girls loved it :)

Here's my version of...

Banana's Crunchy Hemp Brownies - raw and gluten-free

10 dates, pitted and quartered
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/4 cup hemp seeds, plus some for sprinkling
1 tablespoon mesquite powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup cocoa nibs
sea salt

1. Process the dates, then toss in the remaining ingredients.
2. Blend all well and then gently press into a 6" square. It'll only be about 1" tall.
3. Sprinkle on more hemp seeds and, yep, a grind or two of sea salt.
4. Chill well.
5. To serve, cut into little squares and eat "as is" or plate up with fruit and sauce

Sweet Sauce -- which goes well with everything

2 tablespoons raw tahini
2 tablespoons maple or agave
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Stir all in a small bowl.
2. Taste and adjust. Mm, taste again.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! What a great recipe. I am deifnitely saving this one to try for a special occasion (suddenly today feels very special) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat this is! It sure looks delicious!I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!- Alisa@Foodista

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message :)