Redemption, thy name is sprouted buckwheat granola


Did I really edit in my former life?? I did?? Ugh. You couldn't tell by yesterday's post. Shall I chalk it up to stress? being tired? quick fingers? joie d'ecrire? Maybe it was the 3 glasses of iced mate?? It certainly was something because there was one mistake after the other. As if the words and letters were racing to make it onto the page. Embarassing! Humble apologies.

However, I will try to redeem myself with today's post/recipe.

I know, I know. Two posts, two days in a row?? Well, it's been stressfully busy around here: Nini Belle's surgery on Monday, a sick dog (took Nomi to the vet this morning -- it's colitis), work out of the wazoo, out of work husband... Please stop me from droning on....

What fuels me during the crazy times? Whatever it is, it's got to last me through a couple of mealtimes. You know what I mean: you eat breakfast, start doing "stuff" and, before you know it, you turn around and it's 3 or 4 in the afternoon. What? How'd that happen? And then you realize you're kinda hungry.

That fuel of late has been a bowl of sprouted buckwheat granola with coconut milk and lots of fresh fruit - chopped strawberries, blueberries, mangos, bananas, cherries. Whatever I've got on hand and in random combinations. I first tried sprouted buckwheat granola at Daily Juice Cafe in Austin. You must go there -- sooooo good!! They served it with cinnamon hemp milk, sliced bananas, and diced strawberries. Delectable. Hooked. Instantly. Wanted more. Controlled self. But still wanted more, much more.

The whole time I was eating it, the gears were turning: Since I don't live in Austin, I've got to make this at home. How do I make this at home? How do you sprout buckwheat?

Well, I got home and did the 21st century thing: hit the internet. I have a dehydrator, but I had no idea how to sprout buckwheat. Read all about it and along the way also read a few posts with recipes for sprouted buckwheat granola. I played around with several recipes, tweaked here and there, threw in some add-ins I like and happened to have onhand, and, well, the rest is history. Herstory, actually :)

So, here's how I make my all raw, all organic sprouted buckwheat granola. It's great with your favorite milk, yogurt, fruit. On ice cream. (Have you tried the Luna and Larry's Organic Coconut Bliss ice cream?? Honestly, it does not get any better.) Out of hand.
Make it. It's delectable. You'll be hooked. Instantly.
Banana's Sprouted Buckwheat Granola -- naturally gluten free :)

3-4 cups raw buckwheat groats - sprout these (you should have 6-8 cups sprouted)
1 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup sesame seed
1/2 cup hemp seed
few handfulls coconut shreds
1 cup sunflower seeds
about 2 cups coarsely chopped dried fruit - I used cherries, mulberries, dates, and green raisins (yes, green raisins from Iran)
about 1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
1 cup agave
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
few grinds of salt

Mix it all up in a large bowl. Spread the granola about 1/2" thick onto oiled dehydrator sheets and dehydrate till dry and crispy. My dehydrator is an older Magic Aire II and it took about 18 hours. Just keep checking till it's the crispness that you like.

Note: Make sure to use buckwheat groats (they're a creamy green color), and not kasha
By the way, I'll apologize right now for how this post looks. I can't seem to master the gentle art of paragraph spacing. They look fine on the preview, but once they're published.....oh well...
See?? That's the kind of stress that drives me to the granola :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message :)